1st Stage (Prepare Lentils):
1. Wash the lentil, chop 1/2 onion and place in a medium sauce pan.
2. Add 1 tbsp oil, 1/4 tsp turmeric, salt and around 900 ml warm water.
3. Gently boil until the lentil is soft when pressed with fingers (stirring occasionally).
4. When cooked, drain any excess water and leave aside.
5. Heat 1 tbsp ghee/oil in a small frying pan.
6. Add 2 crushed garlic cloves and gently fry until golden.
7. Add the cooked lentil, stir, and cook for 5 mins (stirring occasionally) and leave.
2nd Stage (Puree):
1. Cut 1 onion and 3 tomatoes into 1/4's, chop the green pepper, ginger (peeled), 1 garlic clove, green chillies (if using) and a little coriander.
2. Put the above in a small sauce pan together with 4 tbsp oil, 1/2 tsp turmeric, salt and cup of warm water (around 200-250 ml) covered with lid.
3. Gently boil the vegetables until soft (approximately 15-20 mins) stirring occasionally.
4. When cooked place in a blender to make into puree.
3rd Stage (Curry):
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a medium sized sauce pan.
2. Add 1 crushed garlic clove, cardamoms and the bay leaves and slowly fry until the garlic is golden.
3. Add rest of the onions (finely sliced) with salt and cook to soften (stirring regularly).
4. Add the Mr Huda's Universal Curry Paste, chilli powder, sugar and the lemon juice and cook for 1 min (stirring continuously).
5. Add the ready blended puree and cook for further 2-3 mins (stirring occasionally, covered).
6. Add the chicken with a little warm water (around 100-125 ml) and the cooked lentils, and on full heat bring to boil, then leave to gently simmer (covered) for 25 mins (stirring occasionally).
7. Once cooking is nearly over, add the remaining chopped coriander and leave the curry to settle for 10-15 mins. Before serving drain any excess oil.
Chef's top tips: