Akki in English means Rice and Rotti is something like a Pancake. So Rice Flour Pancake is a breakfast item in southern states of India. Traditionally this is made in a Kadai(a deep vessel something similar to a Wok) but tastes equally good on a griddle as well. The famous accompaniment with Akki Rotti is Coconut Chutney!
Rice Flour - 2 cups
| ||Cumin Seeds - 1 tbsp|| |
| ||Finely chopped Onions - 1|| |
| ||Finely chopped Green Chillies - 3|| |
| ||Finely chopped Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) - 2 tbsp|| |
| ||Finely chopped Curry Leaves - 6 to 8 leaves|| |
| ||Salt to taste|| |
| ||Oil for cooking|| |
| ||Warm Water to mix the dough - slightly more than 1 cup|| |
• Place Rice Flour with all the other ingredients except Oil and Water in a mixing bowl.
• Add Water little at a time and mix the Flour to make a smooth but firm dough.
• Next spread a spoon of Oil on the griddle, take a lemon sized dough and pat it evenly on the griddle to make a thin Pancake. Make few holes on the dough to pour some Oil in them to cook consistently.
• Keep this prepared griddle on medium heat and cook. Pour a teaspoon or two of Oil in the holes and over the Pancake and cook till it becomes light brown in colour. Turn over the Pancake and cook for about a minute or two.
• Repeat the above two steps with the rest of the dough.
• Akki Rotti is ready to be served with Chutney or any dip.