Usli is a term used for a dry side dish made with any Pulses, beans or sprouts with minimal spiced tempering. This can be eaten as a healthy snack item too. Back in India, this particular Brown Chick Pea Usli or popularly known as Kadlekaalu usli is served as Prasad in many temples which tastes simply superb! As we all know pulses are a good source of protein and high in fibre, so making this dish is a very tasty way of having nutritious snack for vegetarians!
Brown Chick Peas or Kala Chana - 1 Cup
| ||Oil - 2 tbsp|| |
| ||Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp|| |
| ||Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp|| |
| ||Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp|| |
| || A pinch of Asafoetida|| |
| || Few Curry Leaves chopped|| |
| ||Green Chillies finely chopped - 2|| |
| ||Salt to taste|| |
| || Freshly grated Coconut - About ¼ Cup|| |
| ||Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp|| |
| ||Coriander Leaves/Cilantro finely chopped for garnishing|| |
• Soak the Brown Chick Pea in Water for about 8 - 10 hours or overnight.
• Pressure cook these soaked Chick Peas along with some Salt. Wait till all the pressure is released and then open the cooker.
• Drain the Water and save it to make some Soups/Rasam or just to any other preparation.
• Next heat Oil in a pan, add some Mustard Seeds and allow it to splutter. Then add Asafoetida, Turmeric Powder, Cumin Seeds, Green Chillies and lastly Curry Leaves. Fry for a few seconds.
• To this add the cooked Chick Peas and mix well. Adjust the Salt to taste.
• Add Coconut and mix well.
• Lastly add the Lemon Juice and Coriander Leaves/Cilantro
• Place in a nice serving dish and enjoy!