Stage 1 - Puree:
1. Cut 1 onion and the tomatoes into 1/4 s, and chop the green pepper, ginger (peeled), 1 garlic clove, green chilli (if using) and a little coriander.
2. Put the above in a small sauce pan together with 4 tbsp oil, 1/2 tsp turmeric, salt and cup of warm water (around 200/ 250 ml) and cover with lid.
3. Gently boil the vegetables until soft (approximately 15-20 mins), stirring occasionally.
4. When cooked place in a blender to make into puree.
Stage 2 - Curry:
1. Heat 2 tbsp of oil (moderate heat) in a medium sized sauce pan.
2. Add 2 crushed garlic cloves, cardamom and the bay leaves (if using) and slowly fry until the garlic is golden.
3. Add rest of the onions (finely sliced) with salt and cook to soften (stirring regularly).
4. Add Mr Huda's Universal Curry Paste, chilli powder and the rest of the chopped tomatoes and cook for 1-2 mins (stirring continuously).
5. Add the chicken and the puree with a little warm water (around 100/125 ml), bring to boil and leave to simmer gently 15 - 20 minutes.
6. Once cooking is nearly over add the chopped coriander and leave the curry to settle for 10-15 minutes. Before serving, remove the bay leaves and any excess oil.
Chef's top tips: