Dal Makhani is a delicacy from North India. The name says it all - it's a mixture of lentils in thick creamy gravy. Yep it's quite a rich dal when compared to rest of them and thus a part of lavish meal! It tastes best with Naan or Tandoori Roti. Don't worry weight watchers - it can be customised too ;). Here's the recipe for Dal Makhani:
2 to 4
Whole Urid Dal - ½ cup
| ||Red Kidney Beans - 1/8 cup|| |
| ||Ginger grated - 1 tsp|| |
| ||Green Chillies finely chopped - 1|| |
| ||Turmeric Powder - ½ tsp|| |
| ||Salt to taste|| |
| ||Mango Powder - ½ tsp|| |
| ||Garam Masala - ¼ tsp|| |
| ||Cream - ¼ cup|| |
| ||Butter/Ghee - 2 tbsp|| |
| ||Cumin seeds - ½ tsp|| |
| ||Asafoetida - ¼ tsp|| |
| ||Whole dried Red Chillies - 3 or 4|| |
| ||Red Chilli Powder - ¼ tsp|| |
• Wash Urid Dal and Red Kidney Beans and soak in 6 cups of water for 8 hours.
• In a pressure cooker, add Dal with 4 cups of Water, Salt, Turmeric, Ginger and Green Chillies. Cook for about 20 to 25 min or till you get around 5-6 whistles.
• Then turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
• Next open the cooker and further cook for 5minutes on medium heat. Slightly mash the dal and kidney beans.
• Then add the cream, garam masala and dry mango powder and let it cook for 10min on low heat.
• Meanwhile heat butter or ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds and allow it to splutter. Then add asafoetida, red chillies and red chilli powder and stir for few seconds. Here add 1tsp of water to avoid the spices from burning.
• Pour this mixture over the dal and mix well. Garnish with shredded ginger.
Dal Makhani is ready to be served with Naan - Enjoy!