|Date and Cinnamon Stuffed Lamb Leg|
Time: 2 hrs
1 whole leg of lamb
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
50g dried dates, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon Greenfields Rosemary
25g ground almonds
1 teaspoon Greenfields Ground Cinnamon
½ teaspoon Greenfields Ground Cumin
1 teaspoon plain flour
600ml lamb stock (fresh or made from cubes)
Salt & black pepper, to taste
2 garlic cloves, crushed
• Heat the oven to Gas 7, 210C, fan190C.
• Heat the oil in a small pan and fry the onion for 5 minutes until soft, mash to a puree.
• Add the chopped dates and stir in thoroughly.
• Add the rosemary, almonds, cinnamon and cumin to the pan, and season.
• Cut 6 large slashes in the fleshiest side of the lamb leg, through to the bone.
• Stuff the date mixture into the slashes. Season the lamb and place in a roasting tin with 250ml water.
• Roast for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to Gas 5, 190C, fan170C and cover loosely with foil. Roast for a further 1 hour 15 minutes for a medium-cooked lamb, or 1 hour 30 minutes for well- done. Top up the water occasionally if it evaporates to prevent the juices from burning. Remove foil 30 minutes before end.
• Remove the lamb from the tin, place on a plate, cover loosely with foil and leave to rest for 15 minutes while making the gravy.
• Skim the fat and discard. Place the tin on the hob and add the flour. Stir for 1 minute then gradually pour in the stock.
• Simmer until it has reduced, then strain the liquid into a gravy boat before serving.