Hovis Strong White Bread Flour is available in 1.5kg bags.
Perfect for Hand Baking and Bread Machines.
The wholesome flavour of strong white is the result of over 120 years of milling experience, spent perfecting the taste, texture and goodness of the wheat to give you a superior loaf.
Handbaking - 1 large white loaf:
• 500g Hovis strong white bread flour
• 25g butter
• 1¼ tsp salt
• 1½ tsp fast action yeast
• 300ml warm water
• 2 tsp sugar for added flavour & thicker crust (optional)
• In a large bowl, mix together flour, optional sugar, and salt, rub in the butter and then stir in the yeast.
• Stir in the water and mix into a soft dough by hand.
• Knead for about 5 minutes in an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, or turn out onto a floured surface and knead well for 10 minutes by hand.
• Shape the dough, then place in a greased 2lb tin or on a baking tray.
• Cover with a clean, damp tea towel (this stops the dough drying out) and leave in a warm placee until doubled in size (1½ - 2 hours).
• Uncover and bake in an oven, preheated to 230c (450f, gas mark 8) for 30-35 minutes.
• The baked loaf should sound hollow when tapped underneath.
• Take the loaf out of the tin and cool on a rack.
For a golden crust: beat 1 egg with a littlemilk, brush on evenly before baking.
For a soft crust: dust with flour before baking. Wrap in a dry, clean towel once baked.