Idli is a well known South Indian breakfast item. Its a rice based steamed cake. As there's minimal fat usage in the making of Idlis, its considered to be a healthy item and also easily digestable by little tummies as well. Idli-Chutney-Sambar is a must combination in any Indian Restaurant!
Idli Rava - 2 Cups
| ||Urad Dal - 1 Cup|| |
| ||Salt - 1½ tbsp|| |
| ||Oil for greasing|| |
• Wash Urad Dal in Water nicely and soak it for about 8hrs.
• Drain the Water and grind the dal into a fine paste.
• Wash the Idli Rava and drain all the Water.
• Mix the Dal batter, Idli Rava and Salt well.
• Leave this mixture in a warm place for about 8hrs or overnight to ferment.
• Once the dough is well fermented you can start making the Idlis. You Need an Idli stand to make the Idlis.
• Grease the Idli plates with some Oil and pour about 3/4 full of batter.
• Steam these prepared plates on medium heat for about 10-15mins or till cooked.
• Use a spoon to take off the Idlis from the Idli stand.
• Serve hot with Chutney and Sambar!
Variations: You can use Idly Rice instead of Idli Rava - only thing to keep in mind is to soak the Rice same as Urad Dal. Grind both the Rice and Urad dal separately and then mix it together. Using Idli Rava is a simpler and quicker option.
See more: Idli related products...