Karela also known as Bitter gourd is populary known for its bitterness. But it has a very good medicinal values that helps in stimulating digestion, good for diabetic, acts as an antiviral etc. It is tough to eat this vegetable when prepared like any other currys due to its sharp taste but when prepared with the below masala Karela tastes yummy and tantalizing. Karela Masaledar tastes best when served with hot rice and Dal.
Karela/Bitter Gourd de-seeded and thinly sliced - 2
| ||Onions thinly sliced - 2|| |
| ||Green Chillies chopped - 2|| |
| || Tomatoes sliced - 2|| |
| ||Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp|| |
| ||Turmeric Powder - ½ tsp|| |
| || A pinch of Asafoetida|| |
| ||Oil - 3 to 4 tbsp|| |
| ||Chilli Powder - 1 tsp|| |
| ||Salt to taste|| |
| ||Dry Mango Powder - 1 tsp|| |
• Heat some Oil in a pan and fry Karela till they are cooked. Take them out on a plate and keep it aside.
• Next add the remaining Oil in the same pan and once the Oil is hot enough, add Mustard Seeds and allow it to splutter.
• Then add the Turmeric Powder, Asafoetida, Green Chillies and Onions. Fry the Onions till they are translucent.
• To this add the Karela. Add some Salt and mix well.
• Then add the Chilli Powder and Tomatoes and mix well. Cook for few minutes until the Tomatoes are just soft but not over cooked.
• Finally sprinkle some Amchoor/Dry Mango Powder to give a tangy flavour.
• Take off the heat and ready to be served with Basmati Rice and Dal!