|This very rich version of a classic Indian Sweet is one of my favourites and is a mix of sweet creamy nutty textures. It takes a little time to prepare but Boy it is worth it...Mmmm|
400ml evaporated milk
½ tsp ground cardamom
200ml lukewarm milk
20g finely ground almonds
40g ground rice
80g sugar or to taste
400ml double cream
¼ tsp vanilla or almond essence
100g unsalted pistachio nuts (with skin removed)
1. Warm the evaporated milk over a medium heat until at boiling point. Remove from heat and add ground cardamom.
2. Meanwhile make a smooth paste by slowly adding the ground almonds and rice to the lukewarm milk, stirring continuously.
3. Add the paste, sugar and cream to the evaporated milk. Cook over a medium flame for 15 minutes, stirring all the time. When the mixture has cooled slightly, add the vanilla essence. Crush the pistachio nuts and mix in half of them.
4. Cool the mixture to room temperature. Cover the mixture with clingfilm, allowing it to touch the surface of the mixture to prevent a skin forming on the top.
5. Place the cooled mixture in individual moulds or a loaf tin, and place in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
6. Move the Kulfi to a refrigerator for about 1½ hours to soften (exact time will depend on the size of the container). To serve, scatter the remaining crushed pistachio nuts over the portions.