|8 x 7g sachets. Each sachet makes 1 large loaf.|
Fast action bread yeast - perfect for bread machines as well as hand baking.
Handbaking - 1 large white loaf:
• 500g strong white bread flour
• 25g butter
• 1&frac;14 tsp salt
• 1&frac;12 tsp McDougalls' fast action yeast
• 300ml warm water
• 2 tsp sugar for added flavour & thicker crust (optional)
• In a large bowl, mix together flour, optional sugar, and salt, rub in the butter and then stir in the yeast.
• Stir in the water and mix into a soft dough by hand.
• Knead for about 5 minutes in an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, or turn out onto a floured surface and knead well for 10 minutes by hand.
• Shape the dough, then place in a greased 2lb tin or on a baking tray.
• Cover with a clean, damp tea towel (this stops the dough drying out) and leave in a warm placee until doubled in size (1&frac;12 - 2 hours).
• Uncover and bake in an oven, preheated to 230c (450f, gas mark 8) for 30-35 minutes.
• The baked loaf should sound hollow when tapped underneath.
• Take the loaf out of the tin and cool on a rack.
• Refer to manufacturer's handbook for recipes.
• Add McDougalls' yeast to the rest of your ingredients, keeping the yeast separate from the sugar and salt.