|Do you want Chicken Jalfrezi with that unique British Indian Restaurant quality and taste? Then simply follow the instructions below for success every time...|
Fairly spicy dish cooked fresh green chillies and can be made with ready cooked chicken tikka for an even more delicious and authentic meal (go to Chicken Tikka Jalfrezi recipe).
500g Boneless Chicken (cut into small cubes)
| || 2 Medium Onions (300g) || |
| || 8-10g Fresh Ginger || |
| || 2 Medium Garlic Cloves || |
| || 8 - 10 Finger Green Chilli cut lengthways in half|| |
| || 4 small tomatoes || |
| || 1/2 Small Green Pepper || |
| || 6 tbsp Veg/Olive Oil || |
| || 1/4 tsp Turmeric || |
| || 7 tsp (50g) Mr Huda's Universal Curry Paste|| |
| || 1 - 2 tsp Chilli Powder (optional)|| |
| || Fresh Coriander || |
1st Stage (Puree):
1. Cut 1 onion and 3 tomatoes into 1/4 s, chop the green pepper, ginger (peeled), 1 garlic clove, 2 green chillies and a little Fresh Coriander.
2. Put the above in a small sauce pan together with 4 tbsp oil, 1/2 tsp turmeric, salt and cup of warm water (around 200/ 250 ml) covered with lid.
3. Gently boil the vegetables until soft (approximately 15-20 mins) stirring occasionally.
4. When cooked place in a blender to make into puree.
2nd Stage (Curry):
1. Heat 2 tbsp of oil (moderate heat) in a medium sized sauce pan.
2. Add 2 crushed garlic cloves, cardamom and the bay leaves and slowly fry until the garlic is golden.
3. Add rest of the onions (finely sliced) with salt and the rest of the tomatoes (chopped) and cook to soften (stirring regularly).
4. Add Mr Huda's Universal Curry Paste and the chilli powder and cook for 1-2 mins (stirring continuously).
5. Add the chicken and the ready blended puree with some warm water (around 125 - 150 ml) and on full heat bring to boil, then leave to gently simmer for 15 - 20 minutes (stirring occasionally).
6. Add the the rest of the green chillies (sliced in halves) and cook for further 5 mins or until the required texture (add more water if you prefer more sauce or cook on higher heat slightly longer with lid semi opened for thicker sauce).
7. Once cooking is nearly over add the chopped coriander and leave to settle for 15-20 mins. Before serving remove any excess oil.
Chef's top tips: