As the name states, the shape of the bean makes its name as kidney bean. It's a highly nutritious bean and can be consumed easily when made delicious. Red kidney bean curry is a traditional north Indian dish served with plain rice and salad. The bean is cooked in tomato gravy along with other spices. This serves as a satisfying rich curry for the winter!
Red Kidney Beans - 1½ cup
| ||Chopped Tomatoes - 2|| |
| ||Grated ginger - 1 tbsp|| |
| ||Green Chilli - 1|| |
| ||Asafoetida - ¼ tsp|| |
| ||Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp|| |
| ||Coriander Powder - 2 tbsp|| |
| ||Turmeric - ½ tsp|| |
| ||Red Chilli Powder - ½ tsp|| |
| ||Black Pepper Powder - ½ tsp|| |
| ||Salt - to taste|| |
| ||Oil - 3 tbsp|| |
• Wash and soak Red Kidney Beans overnight in 6 to 7 cups of water.
• Blend Tomatoes, Green Chilli and Ginger into a paste.
• Heat Oil in a pressure cooker, add to this the Cumin Seeds, Asafoetida, the Grinded Paste, Coriander Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Black Pepper Powder and Turmeric.
• Stir fry till the Oil separates from the mixture.
• Add Kidney Beans, Salt and 3 cups of water and close the lid and cook on medium heat for 15 min or till you get 3 whistles.
• Then wait until all the steam is released and later on open the lid.
• Kidney Beans will be soft now, slightly mash the Kidney Beans while mixing.
Garnish with raw Onion rings and serve with hot Basmati Rice.