Salt and Pepper Squid is the best way to taste seafood and spice in one amazing dish...
Squid Tubes, cleaned - 2
| ||White Peppercorns - 2 tsps|| |
| ||Sea Salt - to taste|| |
| ||Chilli Flakes - 1 tsp|| |
| ||Plain Flour - 100 g|| |
| ||Oil - 1 litre, for deep frying|| |
| ||Fresh Coriander, roughly chopped - handful|| |
| ||Thaitalian Tingler Chilli Jam - 2 tbsps|| |
• In a pestle and mortar crush the white peppercorns with the sea salt.
• Slice each squid into halves and with the inner part facing upwards, score the squid diagonally every 5mm, then cut the squid into 5cm x 2cm lengths.
• In a bowl combine the salt and pepper with the flour and chilli flakes. Next add the scored squid and toss well to coat the squid completely.
• Heat the oil in a large pan until it reaches 180°C. (Test with cubes of bread, they should sink and toast to golden brown within a few seconds and then float back to the surface). Fry the squid in the hot oil in two batches for approximately 1 minute until the squid has curled up into thin cylinders and started to turn golden.
• Drain on some kitchen paper then serve on a plate scattered with the coriander, and the Thaitalian Tingler Chilli Jam as a dipping sauce.