'It's all about the pleasure of cooking...'
There's honest pleasure in knowing the food we eat is tasty, wholesome and made with real ingredients. Spicentice is all about creating a home-cooked experience, to share with family and friends, with traditional recipes that have been perfected over generations.
The clever little (no waste) packs of 100% pure herbs and spices come with an easy to prepare recipe that serves four and a shopping list of the extra things needed to make your favourite dish.
Each Spicentice Tarka Daal Curry Kit contains Red Split Lentils, Cumin Seeds, Ground Coriander, Ground Cumin, Chilli Powder, Garam Masala (Ground Cinnamon, Ground Black Pepper, Ground Cloves, Ground Cardamom).
No additives, no preservatives and no colouring.
2 Onions (medium)
200ml Tomatoes (tinned)
3 Garlic Cloves
1' piece Ginger
A knob of Butter
4 tbsp Cooking Oil
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Salt
Fresh Coriander (for garnish - optional)
1. Wash the lentils thoroughly until water runs clear.
2. Bring to the boil in a large pan with 1200ml of water and ½ tsp salt, skimming the surface occasionally.
3. Simmer uncovered for 40 mins, stirring occasionally until cooked.
4. Meanwhile, chop the onions, garlic and ginger and blend the tomatoes.
Cooking the curry
1. Heat 4 tbsp oil in a non-stick saucepan over medium heat and add Sachet 1, frying the seeds for a few seconds.
2. Add the onions and stir-fry until lightly browned, then stir in the garlic and ginger and fry for a minute more.
3. Stir through the tomatoes and add Sachet 2 with 1 level tsp salt and 1 level tsp sugar.
4. Add the lentils and simmer for 5-10 mins.
5. Stir through a knob of butter and some fresh chopped coriander to finish, and serve with rice.
Tarka daal... is great served with Pilau Rice, Naan or crusty bread. The word Daal (or Dal or Dahl or Dhal) is derived from the Sanskrit term 'to split'. Be warned: remember to share this dish with three others!