|Puffed rice is made by heating rice kernels under high pressure in a sand filled oven. This is later on sieved to separate the sand from the puffed rice.|
Puffed rice is well known as 'Murmura / Mumra / Mamra' in India. This is used as a main ingredient to make many Indian snack items like Bhel Puri, Murmura Ladoo, Chikkis, Spicy Puffed Rice etc.
Spicy Puffed Rice is the easiest among the lot and comes in handy during those wet winter evenings. We have this on our guilt free list as its quite light and affordable item. The taste of this flavoured Murmura is matchless when had with a hot cuppa Chai. Here's what you need to do to enjoy Spicy Puffed Rice.
Puffed Rice - 6 Cups
| ||Oil - 4 tbsp|| |
| ||Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp|| |
| ||Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp|| |
| ||Turmeric - ¼ tsp|| |
| ||Asafoetida - ¼ tsp|| |
| ||Groundnuts - ½ Cup|| |
| ||Birdseye Chilli - 1|| |
| ||Red chilli powder - 1 tsp|| |
| ||Handful of Curry Leaves|| |
| ||Salt to taste|| |
| ||Sugar - 1 tsp|| |
• Firstly check if the puffed rice is crispy or else dry roast them in a pan till they become crisp.
• Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
• Then add red chillies, cumin seeds, asafoetida, groundnuts, curry leaves and turmeric. Fry for sometime till you hear the cracking sound of the groundnuts.
• Next add the red chilli powder, salt and mix well. Switch off the heat and mix the puffed rice into the above mixture. Add the sugar and mix well.
• Once cooled, transfer to an air tight container and store it for up to 2-3 weeks.
Delicious Spicy Puffed Rice is ready to be served with a cup of Tea!