Upma is a favourite breakfast food of South India. It's commonly made with semolina. You can also add vegetables of your choice to boost the taste of upma. This scrumptious dish can be eaten as a breakfast item or for brunch or even as a snack, actually depends on your mood!
Semolina - 1 cup
| ||Oil - 2 tbsp|| |
| ||Curry Leaves - 5 or 6|| |
| ||Green Chillies split lengthwise - 2|| |
| ||Ginger grated - 1 tsp|| |
| ||Mustard Seeds - ½ tsp|| |
| ||Bengal Gram - 1 tsp|| |
| ||Black Gram (Urid Dal) - 1 tsp|| |
| ||Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp|| |
| ||Turmeric Powder - ½ tsp|| |
| ||Asafoetida - ¼ tsp|| |
| ||Onions finely chopped - 1 big|| |
| ||Green Peas - 1/3 cup (and/or any veg of your choice like Peppers, Tomatoes, Carrots)|| |
| ||Salt to taste|| |
| ||Chopped Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) for garnishing|| |
| ||Hot Water - 2 cups|| |
| ||Lime Juice - ½ of a lime|| |
• In a pan, roast Semolina on low flame till it gives out a nice aroma. Make sure to stir continuously so that it doesn't get brown. Once done, remove on a plate and keep aside.
• Heat Oil in a pan, add the Mustard Seeds and allow it to splutter. Next add the Grams, Cumin Seeds, Green Chillies, Ginger and stir well. Add Turmeric Powder and Asafoetida.
• Then add Onions and fry till translucent. Next add Green Peas and fry for a minute.
• Next add hot Water and Salt and bring it to boil.
• To this add the roasted Semolina little at a time, stirring continuously to prevent any lumps forming.
• Mix well and simmer and cook till Upma is combined well and looks like a thick Porridge.
• Turn off the heat, squeeze the Lime and give it a good mix.
• Garnish with Cilantro and serve it hot!