Samosa is eaten as a starter or as a snack. This is a triangular shaped stuffed pastry which is generally fried or nowadays even baked for the benefit of weight watchers. The filling (veg/non veg) can be of your choice whereas the filling that's followed from many years is boiled potatoes and peas along with some spices. Veg Samosa + Sweet Chutney and Green Chutney combo shared with a group of friends for an evening Chai will make an attractive menu...
For the dough:
| ||All Purpose Flour - ½ cup|| |
| ||Salt - ¼ tsp|| |
| ||Oil - 1½ tbsp|| |
| ||Lukewarm Water - slightly less than ¼ cup|| |
For the filling:
| ||Boiled Potatoes peeled and small cubed - 3|| |
| ||Green Peas - ½ cup|| |
| ||Cumin Seeds - ½ tsp|| |
| ||Finely chopped Green Chillies - 2|| |
| ||Ginger grated - 1 tsp|| |
| ||Coriander Powder - 1 tsp|| |
| ||Garam Masala - ¼ tsp|| |
| ||Dry Mango Powder (Amchur Powder) - 1 tsp|| |
| ||Salt to taste|| |
| ||Oil - 2tbsp|| |
Making the dough:
• Mix all the dough ingredients with little water at a time to make smooth dough. Knead for some time and let it sit aside for at least 15-minutes covered with a damp cloth.
Making the filling:
• Heat Oil in a pan, add Cumin Seeds, grated Ginger, Green Chillies, Coriander Powder and fry for for few seconds.
• Next add Green Peas and cook until tender.
• Then add Chopped Potatoes and stir fry for 3-4 min. Put the Garam Masala and Amchur Powder and mix well. Add Salt as per your taste and mix well again.
• Let this filling cool to room temperature.
Making of Samosa:
• Firstly make a paste with 2 spoons of Water and 1 Spoon of All Purpose Flour and keep aside.
• Then using the prepared dough, take a lemon sized dough and roll it into 6 inch diameter circle and cut the circle in half.
• Spread little amount of prepared flour paste along the edge of one semicircle. Now pick this semicircle in your hands and fold it into a cone shape.
• Fill this cone with approximately 3 tbsps of filling and close the cone into a triangle shape and pinch it properly so that it is completely sealed.
• Repeat the same steps to make rest of the Samosas.
• Heat oil in a frying pan, place few samosas at a time and deep fry until golden brown in colour on a medium heat.
Vegetable Samosas are ready to hit the table with chutney!
Tip: If you feel that making the pastry is a cumbersome procedure you could as well use filo pastry sheet for frying and puff pastry sheet if you are baking the samosas.